This is the practical application and technique of the working songwriter. Melody, lyrics, “hooks,” points of view and song logic will be covered. Solo writing as well as the concept of collaboration are introduced. Participants will work individually and in small groups.
- Learn and employ both conventional and unconventional song structures.
- Establish the difference between simple expression and communication through song, and how to establish a musical dialogue with the listener.
- The fundamentals of lyric writing through the usage of rhyme and meter.
- Employing various writing devices to help make a song more effective – POV, object writing, tension and release, prosody.
- How to use technology to organize your thoughts and help complete a song.
- How and when to employ “loops”.
- Charting your songs using the “Number System”.
- The symbiotic relationship between live performance, studio production, and modern songwriting.
Note: Course meets Wednesdays April 1 – May 13, no class April 22.